Name: William Kowal, MD
Hometown: Niskayuna, NY
CRSS Race for Hope participant: 2009 and 2010
1) What is your connection to the Capital region? I moved to the Capital District in 1999 and I am an internist with Prime Care Physicians. My office is located in Guilderland on 1444 Western Avenue. I have a lovely wife who grew up in the area and we have two wonderful daughters, ages 3 and 8.
2) Who or what is the inspiration behind your participation? My inspiration to participate has been two-fold. First, the cause is too important and I have been impressed with the significant funds raised by Capital Region Special Surgery (CRSS) over the first three years of the event. Second, as a primary care physician I have been quite pleased with the specialty care provided to my patients over the years by CRSS when I have referred them there, especially by Drs. Ed and Sara Scheid.
3) What song gets you moving on race day? Just about anything on the BPM channel on XM radio.
4) Any advice for a new CRSS Race for Hope participant? Embrace the hill cautiously at the beginning and remember to fly down it at the end of the race.* Also, enjoy the wonderful amenities before and after the race.
*Editor’s note: Dr. Kowal is one SUPER SPEEDY runner! He finished 2nd in 2010 with a time of 19:31 (6:17 pace) and not far from that the year prior at 19:54. Watch for him this year – he will be the blur rushing through the finish line!
5) You turn the last corner and the finish line is in view, the best reward you could find waiting for you is: a towel.